2013년 1월 23일 수요일

Reflection#3. Forms of domination and marginalization

     Since the creation of the society, people tended to form their own tribes with people who have similar ideologies and beliefs. In addition, the democratic thought of valuing majority, where disregarding the minorities, allowed people to form dominance and marginalize the minorities. As a consequence, people tended to objectify, exploit, subordinate, and oppress others who have marginalized or different thought, beliefs, and ideologies with them. These four(4) forms of domination and marginalization can normally  be observed in our daily lives. 

OBJECTIFICATION
     This form of domination and marginalization is usually observed. I have experienced objectification from my parents. Their thoughts and beliefs have not met with my beliefs and thoughts. This difference made them to consider themselves as dominant ones and myself as a marginalized one. With the different perspective of defining the term 'success', the expectation from my parents on academic performance was really high so that I felt that they consider me as a machine that could do whatever they wish. Moreover, they crammed their beliefs on me regardless of my strong dissent.
     The objectification did not only occur from my parents. Since I am also one of human beings, I have experienced objectifying the others. As a man, I tended to define the woman with her feature/appearance. I tended to objectify woman as a thin and weak ones. Once they gain weight, I never considered them as a woman. This kind of objectification of most men made most women to get liposuction and have compulsive idea on diet. 

EXPLOITATION


SUBORDINATION
     Subordination is the process where the subjects are placed below and at the disposal of other subjects. Living in a Confucianism society in Korea, I have a lot of experience being subordinated and subordinate the others. Most subordination processes, however, occur in military service.
     The person superior than me have the authority and power to rule over me. This kind of authority or power that is rendered to them allows them to think that they are superior than the subordinate. As a result, the superior tends to abuse his power for his own benefits. This kind of bad custom, however, is passed down to next superiors. As a result, the cycle starts again. Even though I experienced some bad customs and thought myself not to do to next subordinate, I tended to practice this bad custom to next subordinates.



댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기